Parkour is the art of navigating effortlessly through obstacles. The aim is to get from one point to another in the most efficient manner. It is practised predominantly in an urban environment, providing a number of obstacles for a practitioner at almost any location.
At Delhi Rock we’ll break down Parkour into:
– Flexibility and balance
– Jumps (take offs and landings)
– Strength building and conditioning
– Obstacle assessment and navigation
Students will be taught to navigate through obstacles using moves like the wall-up, tic tac, the different variations of kongs, shoulder rolls, etc.
Practising Parkour enhances one’s agility, strength and the ability to make quick decisions while on the move. It takes some time to learn, but with regular training and conditioning – the world is our playground.
Since Parkour is intensely technical and physical, about 50% of the class will be focused on fitness and conditioning. So participants will get stronger and more flexible as they go, and be safely guided as they attempt more and more complex parkour moves.
Training safely is extremely important since the only equipment in Parkour is one’s own body. Students will be taught to assess obstacles, the environment and the moves they attempt in order to minimise the risk of injury. That being said, just as in any other sport like basketball or martial arts like Karate, minor scrapes and bruises are inevitable.
Mujahid Habib graduated with a degree in architecture from Jamia Millia Islamia, and is one of India’s best-known exponents of parkour, having showcased his skills at various competitions in India and overseas. He’s also appeared on reality shows, including the Sylvester Stallone-produced show Ultimate Beastmaster, available on Netflix and features in the book 401 Reasons to Love Delhi, written by Fiona Caulfield. His videos have inspired dozens, if not hundreds of youngsters to take up the sport.
Mujahid started practicing parkour in 2007. He loves challenging everything. An explorer and someone who loves learning and passing on his knowledge to others. Mujahid was the winner of the 2013 Redbull freerunning competition Redbull Indus Trial. He’s also a national champion in Lu Tran Kung Fu!
Mujahid has been featured in movies and live shows with organisations like Yashraj Films, MTV, Thums Up, Redbull, Mountain Dew, Samsung, Diesel, Quicksilver, and others.
In his own words:
Parkour frees our mind from issues we face in daily life. These days there’s so much strife thanks to politics. But all of us who practice parkour here, we come from different religions, different social backgrounds. You can say [parkour] is our religion.
Even in an abandoned parking lot, we see opportunity – of being creative, of expressing ourselves through movement, experiencing freedom. You learn to respect your surroundings. In a way, it is life changing. And after a point you’re no longer competing with other people. You’re only competing with yourself, to see how you can do better.
TUESDAY & THURSDAY
7.15 PM – 8.45 PM
SATURDAY & SUNDAY
11.30 AM – 1.00 PM
For private sessions, please email us at email@example.com to check for availability.
Prices include 18% GST. Click on one of the headings above to pay online.
1) Your monthly is valid for one month from your first session. You can extend by up to a week, once per month, if you give us a week’s notice. Extensions for illness or other unexpected issues will not generally be permitted.
2) Class age section is ages 6 – 60! Mujahid has taught large mixed groups before, so age is no bar.
3) If you are more than 10 minutes late for a class, you are not allowed to take it. This is for safety; warmups are important.
4) Attire is comfortable athletic clothing which permits arm and leg articulation. Sports shoes are a must. No zippers, jewellery or other things which can create injury. Nails must be trimmed close on hands and feet.
5) Please bring a water bottle for hydration. Each session is 90 minutes or more, so you should have eaten 1.5 to 2 hours earlier to have adequate energy for a good session.
6) If you have any cuts, wounds or blisters please wait for them to heal before taking a class.
7) We are observing some simple but strict rules to ensure safety during the pandemic. Please see our COVID PRECAUTIONS webpage for our measures, and cooperate in helping us run classes safely.
|TEL||LL 011-46588444 | MO 9818440969 (see hours of operation)|
|ADD||Premises Nanaksar Gurudwara, opp res M-39, GK2 (see detailed directions)|
|INFO|| — COVID PRECAUTIONS —
Please consider subscribing to our weekly newsletter