Climbing Women is Delhi Rock’s first program geared towards climbing safety, technique and strength for women. With twice weekly coached sessions and access to the gym’s facilities throughout the rest of the week, this program is an excellent opportunity for female fitness enthusiasts to accelerate their progress in climbing, and join a dynamic and strong group.
Here’s a bit of what the program will involve:
Introduction & Identification • Basic introduction to the sport, its three disciplines; speed, lead and bouldering, fundamentals of body movement involved • Importance of warm ups and cool downs, prescribe a dedicated routine explaining benefits while climbing • Emphasis on engaging lower body movement to reduce upper body load • Getting familiar with equipment, climbing jargon and holds • Self assessment of strengths and weaknesses.
Understanding Movement Initiation • Intro to footwork; how to use your feet effectively – midsole, toe, inside outside edge, for control and deliberate movement • Techniques to master: step throughs, back flags, smearing, drop knees • Basic movement initiation drills on the wall/boulder to engage hips for full extensions • Dynos and how to do them • Explaining the concept with the help of props (kettle bells, fingerboard, bars, etc ) and then applying on the wall • How to rest on the wall.
Climbing Specific Conditioning • Pull up bar exercises, fingerboard hangs and drills (easy – medium – hard ) • Improving the core and its engagement on the wall • Antagonist muscle work out (rotator cuff) • Shoulder stabilising exercises.
Improving Endurance • Understanding the difference between aerobic and anaerobic endurance and how to train for each • Climbing laps on the wall without rest (example, set of 4 boulders on the loop with 2 minute rest between each set) • Circuit training with climbing specific exercises • Active resting on the wall and in between climbs.
Competition Style Climbing • Technicalities and rules • Identifying features in a problem / climb and coming up with solutions; for example, how to climb on aretes, side edges, volumes using ankle mobility, mantling, rocking over, etc • Climbing under the clock • Resting between problems.
Prerna represented India at the 2016 IFSC Bouldering World Cup in Mumbai. A graduate from St. Stephen’s, she completed her Basic and Advanced Mountaineering Certification from ABVIMAS (Atal Bihari Vajpayi Institute of Mountaineering and Allied Sports), Manali and NIM (Nehru Institute of Mountaineering), Uttarkashi while still in college, after which she took it up full time by becoming a mountain guide.
She is the first Indian woman climber to attend BMC’s (British Mountaineering Council) prestigious Winter Climbing Meet in Scotland and has also trained in ice climbing at the UIAA Youth Ice Climbing in Russia. She has a self-guided ascent of Denali, the highest mountain in North America, and other significant 6,000+ metre climbs in the Indian Himalayas.
Prerna is focused on creating a strong climbing community in India with a special focus on getting more women into the sport and the outdoors.
Coached sessions with Prerna:
TUE 7.30 – 9.00 PM
THU 7.30 – 9.00 PM
Plus climbing days on your own
We accept cash at the gym, or you can pay us online.
1) Your passes are valid for 3 months from the first class taken. They’re non-extendable, non-refundable and non-transferable.
2) Please inform us if you’re under 16 years of age. The class age section is 16 to 60 years of age.
3) If you are more than 10 minutes late for a class, you are not allowed to take it. This will count towards your passes. This is for safety; warmups are important.
4) Climbing attire is long leggings and a comfortable, tight-fitting t-shirt. No zippers, jewellery or other things which can damage ropes or the climbing surface. Nails must be trimmed close on hands and feet.
5) Please bring a water bottle for hydration. Each session is 90 minutes or more, so you should have eaten 1.5 to 2 hours earlier to have adequate energy for a good session.
6) If you have any cuts, wounds or blisters please wait for them to heal before taking a class.
|TEL||+91-11-46588444 (see hours of operation)|
|ADD||Premises Nanaksar Gurudwara, opp res M-39, GK2 (see detailed directions)|